The Making of Black Forest "Uncake"
- Perhaps unsurprisingly, Black Forest cake involves a lot of sugar.
- Sugar and almond flour are blended together by hand.
- The sugar and crushed almond mixture awaits the mixer.
- Egg whites and sugar are beat to glossy peaks.
- The finished meringue mixture.
- Meringue rounds are shaped with a spatula; no stencils or weighing.
- Spreading meringue rounds.
- Meringues after six to eight hours in a low oven.
- Trimmed meringue ready for assembly.
- Meringues and sweetened whipped cream are layered.
- Generous amounts of whipped cream are slathered on.
- Real chocolate sprinkles are patted onto the cake's sides.
- Finally, a shower of shaved couverture chocolate courtesy of a $15,000 chocolate shaving machine.