clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Fiery Cocktail Mishap At Highland Village Bar Inflicts Serious Burns

Two customers had to be airlifted to a hospital

Shutterstock

Setting a cocktail on fire is a relatively common bartender trick, but it didn’t work out so well for two patrons at Highland Village’s Shoal Creek Tavern, who suffered extensive burns after the boozy show went awry.

According to the restaurant, a Dallas couple ordered a flaming cocktail from the menu on Wednesday, and while the bartender was serving the drink, a liquor bottle broke. The Dallas Morning News reports that some of the cocktail spilled onto the customers, and “the flame followed it and put some superficial burns on them.”

The unnamed couple were airlifted to Parkland Medical Center in Dallas for treatment for “major burns from the waist up,” which sounds a little more serious than “superficial.” The patrons’ injuries were not considered to be life-threatening, and the restaurant was able to open a few hours later.

No word yet on whether or not the restaurant will continue to serve the flaming cocktail on its menu in the aftermath of this freak accident.

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Eater Dallas newsletter

The freshest news from the local food world