Today, Leslie Brenner announced that she has resigned as chief food critic at the Dallas Morning News.
After leaving her gig at the News, Brenner will join restaurateur Tristan Simon’s company Rebees, which is currently set to open multiple concepts at Victory Park. Brenner’s exact role at the company is unclear, though Simon says that Brenner will “add so much to Rebees.” “Leslie’s gifts as a writer, storyteller and conceptualist will translate as naturally to the medium of place creation as they did to journalism and fiction writing,” said Simon in a statement.
Brenner’s time as a critic in Dallas was fraught with controversy, ranging from her high-profile battle with Chef John Tesar to the time she had to dress up like a mummy in order to review Arts District restaurant Proof + Pantry. Earlier this year, Brenner sparked even more criticism after slamming the state of Mexican cuisine in the city.
The Dallas Morning News has not yet named a replacement for Brenner, who will officially join Rebees later in September. Her last day at the News is September 8.