Today, the James Beard Foundation announced its list of finalists for the 2018 Awards, and Dallas’ culinary scene isn’t represented at all.
Back in February, the Foundation announced that Regino Rojas of Revolver Taco Lounge was the city’s lone finalist for a 2018 James Beard Award, but Rojas was not named as a finalist at today’s press conference in Philadelphia. That means that this year is a complete shut-out for Dallas chefs and restaurants, a significant drop from two years ago when six local chefs were nominated as semifinalists in 2016.
Still, the acclaim is growing for Revolver Taco Lounge. Earlier this month, Eater roving critic Bill Addison named it one of the 38 best restaurants in Texas, and local taco expert Jose R. Ralat offered equal praise for the tacos served up front and Purépecha, the excellent, Michoacan-inspired tasting room that operates in the back of Revolver Taco Lounge’s Deep Ellum space.
Winners for the 2018 James Beard Awards will be announced on May 7 at a ceremony in Chicago. See the full list of Best Chef — Southwest nominees below.
- Michael Fojtasek (Olamaie, Austin)
- Bryce Gilmore (Barley Swine, Austin)
- Steve McHugh (Cured, San Antonio)
- Martín Rios (Restaurant Martín, Santa Fe NM)
- Alex Seidel (Mercantile Dining & Provision, Denver)
- Revolver Taco Lounge’s Regino Rojas Is Dallas’ Lone James Beard Semifinalist [EDFW]
- Here Are the 2018 James Beard Awards Restaurant, Chef, and Media Finalists [Eater]